Children and Young People’s Services
Children and Young People's Services bring together a number of functions to help support children, young people and families in County Durham.
To deliver these services, there are two service areas within Children and Young People's Services:
- protect vulnerable people from harm as part of our statutory duty, working with local partners
- work with schools and partner organisations to ensure that children and young people are supported to achieve, attain and be prepared for adulthood
- help children and young people make positive and healthy choices
- support a range of intervention and prevention services to improve outcomes for families
- work with the police and other partners to reduce crime and anti-social behaviour
- look after children and young people in public care and care leavers
- provide adoption services.
The Corporate Director of Children and Young People's Services is Margaret Whellans.